Football Blog: Tangerine Flavoured

Friday, February 19, 2021

League 1 as expressed in the medium of mostly obscure music


Before reaching the dizzying heights of being the third most popular active Blackpool FC related blogger (of 3) I used to do an internet radio show of niche, unusual, obscure and unsigned music. It was good craic and I liked doing it a lot. I have nothing to say about football right now so I'm going to combine my love of music hardly anyone has heard of with my passion for writing blogs about football that not many people want to read. Other sources bring you interviews with legends, live interaction, match previews and astute comment. I bring you a league 1 themed episode of a sub John Peel show. Who says the market doesn't provide? 

Lets get one thing clear immediately. This isn't a playlist of football songs. This is a playlist of songs with titles that mention the names of league 1 teams but aren't (as far as I can tell) about the teams themselves. I've tried to find songs that entertained me in someway to some extent and in general I did but that was surprisingly hard for Gillingham for some reason. 

I've only included stuff I didn't know already. Whilst some of the artists are familiar to me, the individual songs are all new to my ears. Cos why listen to what you already know? 

Literally no one thought this would be a good idea, least of all me, but that's not going to stop me living the dream. 

Er... enjoy? 

(Exclusive imaginary MCLF car sticker for anyone who *actually makes it through the playlist* <-- click to play on spotify))




Tracklist 

Accrington (Not Hollywood) - Sleeperman
The Wimbledon Riot - Colourbook 
Blackpool Late 80s - James Holden
Bristol Road leads to Dachau - The Prefects
The Abbot of Burton - John Tejada
Charlton Heston - The Black Snakes
Crewe - Youth 83
Doncaster Road - Cargo Belly
Fleetwood Fair - Gilmore and Roberts
Gillingham Ramshire - The Dust Bunnies
Hull of Crows - Distant 
Ipswich - Pink Oranges47 
Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen
Milton Keynes - Meow Meows 
Northampton - Alan Moore, Mitch Jenkins
Oxford Gray - Shuggie Otis 
Peterborough Postman - Stompin' Tom Connors
Plymouth Chorale - Lesley Barber
Portsmouth - Francioiz Breut 
From Rochdale to hell - Graham Domain
Shrewsbury Steppa - Teutonic Kaboom
Sunderland - Cakehole Pressley 
Swindon - Venetian Snares
Wigan Pier Wiggle - Ray McKiley and The Swing Shift

Bonus track just because it's the best song ever with the name of any football team in the title: 
Starling Murmurations on Blackpool Pier - Membranes

utmp

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Twitter!

Get MCLF in your inbox!

Subscribe with a feedreader!

Buy the book (proceeds to Blackpool Foodback)

Blog Archive

Yet another bad owner. Where do they breed them?

This is Brooks Mileson. He owned Gretna FC. If you don't know who he is or what the score is with Gretna, it might be worth giving it ...